• العربية
  • فارسی
Brand
  • Iran Insight
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Analysis
  • Special Report
  • Opinion
  • Podcast
  • Live TV
  • Iran Insight
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Analysis
  • Special Report
  • Opinion
  • Podcast
  • Live TV
  • Theme
  • Language
    • العربية
    • فارسی
  • Iran Insight
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Analysis
  • Special Report
  • Opinion
  • Podcast
  • Live TV
All rights reserved for Volant Media UK Limited
volant media logo

WSJ Slams Reported US Plans For A Limited Deal With Iran

Jun 17, 2023, 10:28 GMT+1Updated: 12:07 GMT+1
President Joe Biden greets Senator Chris Murphy (D-CT), a supporter of the Iran nuclear deal, on June 16, 2023
President Joe Biden greets Senator Chris Murphy (D-CT), a supporter of the Iran nuclear deal, on June 16, 2023

The Wall Street Editorial Board has slammed reported plans by the Biden administration to reach a limited nuclear deal with Iran in exchange for billions of dollars.

In an editorial on Friday, WSJ said the reported deal taking shape is not what President Joe Biden promised when he embarked on talks with the Islamic Republic in early 2021.

Biden had promised a “longer and stronger” agreement, the Journal said, “Now, in a remarkable retreat, the Biden Administration is pursuing an unwritten ‚understanding‘ with Iran to get to the brink of a nuclear breakout but go no further.“

The Biden administration has denied any deals with Iran, acknowledging that contacts were made to convey US demands. The latest denial came from Secretary of State Antony Blinken on Friday during a press conference.

“With regard to Iran, some of the reports that we’ve seen about an agreement on nuclear matters or, for that matter, on detainees are simply not accurate and not true,” Blinken said.

The WSJ says that in the deal taking shape Iran will keep all of its 60-percent enriched uranium, without clarity about international monitoring of its nuclear activities, while Tehran can break the unwritten “understanding” over any issue in the future.

The editorial also criticized a deal earlier this month that allows Iraq to release $2.7 billion of Iran’s frozen funds ostensibly for spending mainly on food imports.

"The Administration says Iran will spend the Iraqi funds only on food and medicine, as if money isn’t fungible. In reality the U.S. is freeing up billions of dollars that will finance the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps and its imperialism across the Middle East," the editorial said.

Most Viewed

Iran weighs attacks on military targets in Europe – FT
1

Iran weighs attacks on military targets in Europe – FT

2

Canada deports former Iranian official linked to 2019 protest crackdown

3
ANALYSIS

The 60-day deadline is over. Now what does Trump do with Iran?

4
OPINION

For Iranian journalists, exile can last a lifetime

5
INSIGHT

Forced to serve in the IRGC, now fighting to stay in Canada

Banner
Banner
Banner

Spotlight

  • Luxury Tehran property asking prices surpass Munich and Sydney

    Luxury Tehran property asking prices surpass Munich and Sydney

  • For Iranian journalists, exile can last a lifetime
    OPINION

    For Iranian journalists, exile can last a lifetime

  • Seven months on, January protests still shape Iranians’ lives
    VOICES FROM IRAN

    Seven months on, January protests still shape Iranians’ lives

  • Forced to serve in the IRGC, now fighting to stay in Canada
    INSIGHT

    Forced to serve in the IRGC, now fighting to stay in Canada

  • Iran’s ‘infiltration’ bill sparks backlash over sweeping reach

    Iran’s ‘infiltration’ bill sparks backlash over sweeping reach

  • To survive maximum pressure, Iran kept pumping and broke its oil company
    ANALYSIS

    To survive maximum pressure, Iran kept pumping and broke its oil company